The New Year is coming and it is again time for most of us to set new goals for ourselves. But before you start making your list, take a moment and try to think back to your last year’s resolutions. Were you able to do all of it? If not, try to remember the reasons why you failed to achieve your previous goals. Here are some of the things that might be stopping you from completing your goals to become a better person than today.
1. Fear – Most people stop pursuing their goals because they are afraid of many things. The fear of failing, the fear of being embarrassed and sometimes the fear of succeeding or change stop them from doing what they really want. The only thing that you should fear is not doing anything to make your life better.
Face your fears and free yourself from any doubts. It’s the only way to live a happy and better life. When the opportunity to change knocks on your door let it in and don’t initially resist it. It could be an opportunity for personal development and to motivate you to follow a new direction in life.
2. Evaluation – There are times when we lose focus on our goals because we try to evaluate the results of our efforts too soon. And when we do, we often find certain shortcomings or flaw with ourselves that make us want to give up even if we’re not yet done trying. When you are trying to achieve something, you can review your progress from time to time. But if you don’t see any significant changes it doesn’t mean that you should give up already. But rather, it is a message that you should try harder and perhaps rethink your strategies.
3. Comparing Yourself to Others. There are some people who often end up comparing themselves based on what others are achieving. Then, they feel miserable when they see someone more successful than they are. Remember that when you try to look around you will always see people who are more successful than you. And when you do see them, don’t feel bad about yourself. Instead, try to learn from them and get some ideas on how you can improve your strategies towards achieving your goals.
4. Poor Time Management – One of the most important elements of success is time. When you don’t have it, how then can you expect yourself to achieve anything? Time is valuable so, don’t waste any minute of it. Learn when your most productive time of the day is, then, set your agenda appropriately. Remember that procrastination is the enemy of success. So, never put off tasks that you can do now.
5. Indecisiveness – If you can’t make up your mind about what you really want, you end up not achieving anything at all. Make a choice, stick with it, and never look back. You need to be very decisive on matters that concern your personal development.